My Youtube Playlist

10 September 2010

Who Is Lady Shivz?

Shivon Da’nette is an up and coming singer, songwriter from East London, formally known to the underground Grime scene as Lady Shivz. Despite her miner ‘war’ in the scene with South London musician Dot Rotten, she has continued her music journey aiming to enter the mainstream. With over 3000 youtube hits during the he first week of her new single, ‘Priority’, we can only suspect that she’s well on the right track to stardom. I thought I’d catch up with Lady Shivz to find out how she got in to music as well as what we can expect from her in the future.



When did you realise music was for you?


Probably just before I hit my teen years. I was always listening to Mariah Carey in her prime and the way she used her voice, as well as many other singers and I grabbed on to how they expressed their emotions through music.

What has been your worst experience and how did you overcome it?

My worst experience in music was when the wrong person found me attractive and didn't like the fact that I was ignorant to care about it. They made up a 'diss track' aimed at me and it was a big stepping stone for me because I was still finding my way in the up n coming area. I suppose I could of handled it much better but at the time I wasn't as known in the music scene as I am now and hadn't experienced any form of lies, hatred or controversy to that extent.


Which artist/s would you say have impacted or influenced you musically and why?


Keisha Cole, she has hard times in life but she always expresses herself through music, I love that. Michael Jackson R.I.P has influenced the way I express my emotion through music, he never held back the way he felt and also this is why I write my own lyrics because it gives me much more adrenaline in studio to sing something coming from me.

How would you describe your style?

Pretty much versatile, when I started singing people would either say I have an 'angelic voice' or a 'powerful voice' which is down to me having so much style.

As a musician what are your views on of the innovation of social networking sites such as twitter, facebook and myspace?

Social networking sites are the best things you can use to build your fanbase, promote your music and build your contacts. You can find almost everyone from directors, to producers, to record label A n Rs on facebook, twitter etc. I started from myspace to promote my music, jumped on facebook to network with people within the music scene besides artists, and twitter is just the easiest way to get '@' anyone you feel is important to what your doing 24/7.


What artists would you like to work with and what can we expect from you in the future?

Hmm thats a tricky one, I am more focused on putting my music out there so people would want to work with me rather than me wishing to work with somebody else lol. I'm currently wrapping up my mixtape Frozen Hype which is grime music and at the same time working on a few projects for release and collaborations with other grime artists. I've just put out my new video 'Priority' the feedback and support is incredible and amazing I am really appreciating everyone supporting UK talent and telling me how much they are waiting to hear more, I love the fact that no one knows what to expect as I’ve been quiet working on a lot of music. I'm shooting another video abroad next month, the location hasn't been confirmed yet and I've got a few more hot trick up my sleeve.

What advice would you give to up and coming musicians?


Be prepared to put in the work. You have to want it so much that you’re going out your way to network and contact people, search in google about labels find out who is who, it’s a lot of work. The main thing is to work on your talent and build up your FANBASE. Even if you feel that other artists or important people in the scene are not trying to help or open doors for you, as long as you have your fanbase focus on them and your music. There are a few musicians who are only heard of when they receive help from others but their fanbase isn't strong. Also the internet has helped a lot, its free promotion basically. Promote your stuff, do everything at a good quality and you will be noticed. Go to networking events and let people know who you are just by word of mouth; your name will eventually ring bells. Just put your heart into music if you really are passionate about it and remember it’s more than a 9 to 5 job, music is my life and you won't see me give up.

Stay tuned to Lady Shivz via Facebook and Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment