My Youtube Playlist

10 July 2011

Writeway - One Way

Writeway are a gospel music collective from East London that consists of singers, rappers producers and songwriters. As a collective they are determined ‘Lead the world to live the right way!’ by making music with a positive influence entwined with their beliefs in the Christian faith. They have had the pleasure of working with commendable gospel artist such as Victizzle, Guvna B and Dwayne Tryumf in addition to performing at events in the UK and overseas.


I thought I’d catch up with Tunday, one of the four members of the group to find out where it all started.


‘My Names Tunday, I’m a gospel rapper, songwriter, and sports fanatic, I love gym and football. I released my 1st album ‘Identity’ on 13th June 2009 at an album launch with the MOBO Award winning Victizzle who won the Best Gospel Act 2009 which attracted 2000 people the event. I also won an award in 2009 from the Christian Broadcast Council which gave me the chance to tour the UK and abroad sharing my life experiences at youth seminars in countries such as New York, Florida, St Lucia and India. I have also worked with men from prisons and Youth institutions. My style is a blend of Hip Hop, Indie Rock and R&B.’

‘I wanted to use music to influence the people around me to live a life that was in direct contrast to the negative lifestyle celebrated by so many. I understood the impact that music had on the growth of a person and felt there was a gap in society that an organisation with the right manifesto could fill. Luckily, I came across individuals who felt the same way and liked this concept. So we all started this Journey together.’

‘The name Writeway is taken from Proverbs 3:5-6 meaning for God to direct our steps and lead us in the right direction. The names spelt that way because we want to lead the world the right way through our writing’


He feels that it’s very important to buy as an artist as ‘It’s a symbol of empathy and support. With the amount you invest as an artist, you wouldn’t want to see it go down the drain when someone could have easily bought your material. We all bought Triple O's album, a UK gospel artist who released his small project called ‘Come Home’ in December 2010.’

‘As a group we'd love to collaborate with Mali Music. His qualities are so diverse, a producer, a rapper a singer. He'd compliment our sound on a track because he sounds like 3 different people in one! Our music is aimed at young teenagers aged 13 and upwards. Our siblings are those ages, and even though we are in our early 20's, we haven’t forgotten what its like to be in our teens and we obviously know what its like to be a young adult in this world. We appeal to this age group because we relate to them.
                    
He’d describe the journey so far as ‘a roller coaster ride in the dark. Thrilling, fun but a scary ride because you just don’t know what’s going to happen next. I’ve got a sophomore album out soon, but I’m not going to reveal when it will be out just yet’.

The collective consists of three other members who go by the name of Presha J, Leke and Rhema, this is what they had to say.


‘I'm Presha J, im a 22 year old is a rapper. I released a single in 2008 called “No More” featuring Tunday which pushed me to start my first project which was my EP named “Changes” in 12th December 2008. I also released a music video named “Whose Side Are You On” that has gained over 31,000 views so far and was also featured on Channel AKA playlist. On the 10th December 2010, I released another video called “Changes” which was taken from my EP, which has prepared me for my release of my 1st album in 2011. My style is a mix of Indie Grime, Hip Hop and RnB.  

Aside from music he ‘goes to the gym’ and ‘writes a lot’. When asked about his journey so far he says ‘This for me has been exciting, I can’t complain, I love music so I'd say it’s a privilege! Im currently finishing up on a few singles planned for the year and my 1st album.’


‘My names Leke Akinyemi I’m a 20-year-old worship leader, singer and songwriter, I’m also an official worship leader in my church. I’m currently working on my EP and a music video for 2011. I have collaborated with the likes of Dwayne Tryumf who is an International Gospel Artist, Victizzle who won a MOBO Award for the Best Gospel Act in 2009 and Guvna B who aslso won a MOBO Award for Best Gospel Act in 2010. My style is R & B, Acoustic, Indie Rock and Worship.

When he’s not making music Basketball is his hobby. He would describe his journey so far he says as ‘a motorway journey, some what of a tour of Life, making many stops and progression along the way. I’m working on various things but focused on my E.P. and a single! The Writeway Short-film is also due to be released soon!


‘Yo my names Rhema and I'm a 21 year old rapper and youth leader in development,
I've always desired to use music to spread my testimony. I am a newly recruited artist on this firm. I released my first music video & Downloadable track with Writeway on 31st January 2011, which received 5,000 views nationwide & over 1,000, downloads within the first week. My mixtape is set to be released in later this year.

Aside from music he also I loves basketball and writing! He says that his experience so far has been ‘Awesome’ he explains ‘I've met a lot of people, this time last year I’d never think I’d be doing what I’m doing now, I’m just very grateful, a very awesome journey. I have a free mixtape coming up this year, please look out for that! I'm working on it as you read this lol!


According to the collective  the ‘Impact is more important than music but music will be the foundation for WriteWay to expand and create an open door for the youngsters of this generation to use their gifts whether it is singing, acting, photography or to represent the youth in politics to continue in the “right way’

For more of Writeway, you can now contact them via  their Official Site or Facebook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment