My Youtube Playlist

30 August 2011

Ella Chi - Chi Chi Pop


Spain doesn’t really offer that scene and I felt trapped. With no creative outlet I decided to head to London’ says songstress Ella Chi who moved to London from Spain to embark on a her music career. From a young age she regularly performed with her dad at late night jams, squat parties and local gypsy flamenco bands. In 2010 she performed at the Glastonbury Festival to thousands and continues to do so across London at renowned live night events such as the Notting Hill Arts ClubThe Pigalle ClubShoreditch House and Ronnie Scotts, she is also due to release her self entitled album 'Ella Chi' later this year.

I thought I’d catch up with Ella Chi herself to find out more about her music, inspirations and plans for the future.

‘I realised that I was at my happiest listening to good music’. Ella Chi explains when I asked what made her originally get into music. ‘For some it’s travelling, eating, sport or whatever, but there’s nothing that makes me feel like music does. When I realised that, I decided to make it my life. 

‘My dad was the first to tell me I had an actual talent. I was horribly shy and hard on myself, it scared the hell out of me, but that made it more attractive. So I started to perform. I lived in Spain, which had no real outlet for the kind of music I love so I moved to London and enrolled in a music college where I started to work with musicians and producers’. 

‘I've always spent my money and time on my music. I sacrificed my social life at the start and went into a shell concentrating on music until I realised I was lonely and that friends are seriously important, especially since I didn’t have my family around me. I missed out on the whole wild gap year thing. I've travelled but I love idea of just taking off and disappearing and becoming anonymous’.


‘My stuff is written honestly; I find it difficult to write a tune about something I don't properly connect with. I get a total block my writing seems to flow most when I'm frustrated so that's a popular topic! But I'm on a journey just like every other human being so I guess my music will represent whatever I'm feeling and thinking at the time I write it’.

‘I'm just expressing myself really. Sometimes I vent by writing a song, instead of actually solving a problem, but I'm learning to do both now. I'm quite careful not to tamper with initial feeling or ideas of the song by making sure I preserved those aspects for when it comes to production’.

She feels that ‘talent, discipline, versatility and being humble’ are four essential qualities of a good musician. She explains ‘I believe that talent will to some extent guide you if you allow it to. Discipline allows you to ‘be the best at your thing and be tough on yourself. You should listen to all kinds of music, it sinks in and even if you don't realise, it will come out in your playing. In regards to being humble she says ‘It’s such a turn off when you find out some one whose music you love is a total arse. It sounds silly but it’s so simple’.

She has been influenced by the liked of ‘Prince’ she says ‘his music had so much character, at times comical. He's incredible in the way he uses his voice. So many tones, incredible ranges and energy, yet so unmistakable. His music is most definitely his’. He’s a ‘wicked performer, he excels in every way you should as an artist. ‘Kate bush’ she says ‘I've just recently properly discovered her, she is so versatile. A true musician, her songs are so beautiful and some of it dark and she's not trying please anyone. 

Missy Elliot, especially for her beats, lyrics and videos. I could listen to her stuff on repeat for days. Her album 'This is not a test' was the soundtrack to my teens’. She also mentions ‘Faithless, Massive attack, Roy Hargrove, George Harrison, Rachelle Farrell, Lauryn Hill as other influences. When asked about who she would like to collaborate with in the future she says ‘I pretty excited about the guys I'm working with right now so I don't really have a burning desire to work with anyone in particular. Though I'd love to do a feature with Gorillaz US rapper K'naan is crazy talented, a collab with him would make me very happy’.

She would advise up and coming talents to ‘Listen a lot. Realise you have to put the work in. No one else will do it for you. Time is precious. Keep developing your skill to your best ability. Enjoy meeting people but make time to be in your own zone. Be humble. Learn about the industry. Play live as often as you can. Be clear and honest to yourself about your goals.


In the future we can expect ‘More music, live shows and new material. My next single 'Chi Chi Pop' will be released in the near future. I’ll be shooting the video soon’.

For more of Ella Chi check her out via her OfficialSiteFacebook, Twitter  and  

0 comments:

Post a Comment