My Youtube Playlist

29 August 2011

Skits9 - Skitsophenia Vol 1

In 2005 he featured on the notorious underground anthem Real-ion in alongside artists such as JME, Lethal B and Shizzle. This exposure open doors, giving him an array of platforms to perform across such as Deja Vu FM and Heat FM as well as stage shows across the country. Since then he has released 'G Rap A G Is Born', 'A Few Good Men', 'You Can't Handle The Truth', and on the 21st August he released his début EP 'Skitsophenia Vol 1'. Zeph formally known as Skits9 is a musician from Tottenham, North London who is also a model and event organiser for Streamline Entertainment.


I thought I'd catch up with Skits himself to find out more about Skitsophenia Vol 1 and his views on the current music scene. 


‘From as far back as can remember I’ve been doing music’ Skits replies when I ask him how and when he got into music, he continues, ‘I used to freestyle with Professor Green in primary school. Then in secondary school I gained mores exposure featuring on underground radio stations’. He highlights Heat FM and De Ja Vu as some of his early platforms where he showcased his musical talents. ‘I got my first feature on a track called Real-ion, which also featured the likes of JME, Flirta D, Napper, Neeko and many more. 

From there ‘I went on to feature on DVDs like Risky Roads, L.B.T.V, and loads more. 
I dropped a CD entitled ‘Skits9 G Rap A G Is Born’, featuring Shizzle, Mike GLC, Dj Ironik, and  many more. I try to merge grime - which is the scene of music I came from - with rap - which is the music I express myself in today - to create a g-rap’. I then dropped my promo CD ‘A Few Good Men’ followed by ‘You Can’t Handle The Truth’ featuring Corey Johnson, Chipmunk, Fresh and Ryder. Now I'm releasing my first free EP entitled ‘Skitsophenia Vol 1’ featuring Chocks the rapper which is now available via digital download. 


‘My poetry is real to me and I choose not to glamorise my music in the hope that it will sell. I believe i speak from my heart. If I speak about general issues and my life, as well as create good music, it will place me in a position where  I am different from the rest. I am motivated by the things I see around me, other artists that work with me - Random Impulse being one of them - and basically the drive to do better than those ahead of me in the game. I mainly feel my videos are doing it at the moment for me but I guess it can all change'.

‘I took some years out to sort out my attitude towards my music and to educate and re evaluate my surroundings’ he replies when I ask are there any sacrifices. He continues ‘ I don’t regret it. I’m wiser, smarter and a better person than I once was. Hopefully it can be seen through my music’.


Three songs that he really likes are  ‘Otis Reading - One More Day’ he explains ‘it’s like he spoke from his soul on the track. There’s so much pain and so much concentration in one song. Real music carries real emotion. The next is 'Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up’, he explains, 'it’s an inspiring song which always possesses the power to uplift me. Lastly ‘Max B - Tryna Go Home’, he explains ‘I think his life experience can be heard through his music. I really related to the vibe of the song so I decided to get Random Impulse to refix it and create my version.

'I believe that the UK industry has a lot of good musicians, good music, character, class and charisma. The UK industry will continue to strive and push the boundaries of music. The UK has come along way from just listening to rappers to becoming rappers.Three artists that I admire right now are Wretch 32, his poetry is outstanding to say the least and his music and swag are on point. Ed Sheeran, his talent and song composition is incredible, he’s truly inspiring. Lastly, a band called The Milk. They’re absolutely fabulous and I had the privilege of being invited to a few of their gigs'.


Skitz promotes himself via variety of different mediums that include Twitter, Facebook, blogs, videos, and shows. In the future you can expect ‘Skitsophenia Vol 2’, new vids , especially ‘Tryna Go Home’ filmed by UKoverstood as well as his new track entitled ‘Ready To Go’. 

Keep your ears and eyes peeled for more Skits ! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment