My Youtube Playlist

16 October 2011

Mr ShaoDow - Get Stronger

At the age of 18 he travelled alone to China to learn Shaolin Kung Fu and soon realised it was much more that defence mechanism, instead a way of life that has taught him to work hard in order to achieve his dreams. His recent single Get Stronger ft Ghetts is living proof of his tenacity and determination to succeed as the animated music video managed to achieve over 30,000 views in the first five days of its release and was the 3rd most watched music video in the UK charts.


Mr ShaoDow is a musician from London who made a conscious decision to make music his fulltime career two years ago.  I thought I’d catch up with him to find out more.



‘I’m ShaoDow, a multi-genre rapper, aside from making good music I also travel around the UK, from Bournemouth to Scotland promoting and selling my music directly to the people. I started taking my music seriously when I was studying at university. But after I graduated 2 years ago I decided to take the leap and become a full time musician.’
  
‘First and foremost my music represents me. There are still too many people out there that believe you have to talk and act in a certain way to be a rapper. I want to show an alternative to the status quo and make music appealing to more than just rap lovers.’

‘I listen to a wide range of music genres including heavy metal and that is represented in my music. I’d quickly get bored if I just stuck to one style so I’m constantly challenging myself to improve lyrically, not just for the listener, but for myself as well.’
  
‘My full alias is Mr ShaoDow. ShaoDow is essentially a name that I made up and incorporates the word Shaolin as in Shaolin Kung Fu.' 

'When I was 18 I travelled alone to China and studied Shaolin Kung Fu with the monks, it was a very important part of my life and it proved to me that you can achieve nearly anything if you’re willing to leave your house and go get it. Since then I travel the country, mainly alone and have managed to sell over 6,000 copies of my CD’s to date.’

‘Kung Fu is about more than just weird noises and death grips, there’s a mentality and tenacity of spirit that you can apply to nearly any life situation. If it hadn’t been for my training and travelling experience I don’t think I’d be doing what I do now. Besides, Kung Fu directly translates to ‘Hard Work’ and that’s definitely something I do day in, day out.’
  
‘I appeal to people who enjoy variety in their music I’ve also managed to gain support from listeners who dislike rap and hip hop. I’m trying to bring something a bit different to the table; I’m not attempting to be the next Jay Z so it’s difficult to say how well this will work out without an already established reference point.’

‘However, if you’re looking to listen to some good music with honest, well thought-out and skilful lyricism then I’m your rapper. Follow my journey and see how I’ve managed to build my career out of nothing through sheer determination and ambition. You won’t be disappointed.’

‘If all else fails, if you aren’t listening now, chances are I’ll approach you in your hometown and ask you to buy one of my CDs. One way or another, my music will find you’ he laughs.
He describes his journey so far as ‘proof of what you can achieve, if you believe’ and ‘epic’. 

When asked if he wasn’t a musician what would he be he says ‘I’d probably be a lawyer, need to do something with that law degree!’
  
He feels the industry has changed and recognises that it has become ‘a lot more internet based’, he continues ‘people want music now and are able to get it for free. 

I’d guarantee that a lot of record label execs are pulling their hair out trying to work out how to stay relevant. 

All I know is that I bring my music directly to the people, that is something nobody can take away from me. I bypass the industry, so it can change as much as I want, I’ll keep moving forward’

When asked what we can expect from in the future he says ‘good music and progress’, he continues ‘as my fans know, I released my newest single ‘Get Stronger ft. Ghetts’ to iTunes and it’s doing very well so far. The animated music video managed to achieve over 30,000 views in the first five days and was the 3rd most watched music video in the UK.

'Currently I’m working on my next official single, but in the mean time I will be releasing more tracks and music videos for people to listen, watch, share and enjoy, as my main focus has always been to consistently provide good music.

'On the live front I recently supported Giggs in Nottingham and I am planning a number of performances in venues across the country, so keep an eye on My Shows to keep updated. Thanks very much for the interview and the opportunity to speak to the people, nuff respect to all my fans, supporters and anyone that enjoys my music.'

For more of Mr ShaoDow visit his Official Site, Facebook, Youtube, follow him on Twitter and join his Mailing List.

0 comments:

Post a Comment