My Youtube Playlist

3 October 2011

Reflect - Burp

Reflect is a rap artist from Birmingham, England who grew up listening to American, Westcoast rappers such as NWA and 2Pac, which influenced him to start his career in music. He is now in the process of completing his debut album entitled ‘Burp’ which illustrates his interpretation of everyday life collaborated with his warped sense of humour that he uses to entertain and engage his listeners, along with an occasional burp, he says ‘I'm not going to lie, I do say things for the shock value.’


I thought I’d catch up with Reflect himself to find out more.


'It all started when I bought my first rap tape - yes tape, not no MP3 - "KID N PLAY" off my school mate for a couple of quid - my lunch money – I’ve never looked back. I thought the way they rhymed was so cool and clever; I just wanted to do it and be just like them. I explored more into rap and came across NWA, 2pac, etc. I really found the west coast music moving especially 2Pac. I remember growing up, I had one of his tapes and I'd be in my bedroom with a pad and pen listening to his 'All Eyes On Me' album ’.  

‘It played and wrote down all the lyrics as he said them, I'd rewind the tape back to catch the odd words I missed here and there. Obviously being a kid, there were some words I didn’t know the meaning of so I'd search the dictionary and find out what it meant. I felt so free and relaxed and enjoyed doing it to fill my days; we had no internet back then’. He used what he learnt to write his own lyrics where he began to learn, explore and develop the craft of rap.

‘Growing up as a kid into an adult as an emcee, I'm sure like other rappers, I had loads of rap names. I used to battle a bit back in the day, I was called Machete’, he laughs ‘but now, I’m known as Reflect, which represented my feelings towards my music. My music basically reflects what is going on in this world but I just put my style into it and make it different, amusing but sometimes - well most of the time - harsh’.


‘It ain't pleasant but hey, life ain't always. By me putting it that way I guess I'm just trying to enlighten the mood of the situation. I am a joker in normal life and a smart ass so this does come across in my music. How does Reflect differ from Peter? 'Well, Reflect just says and does what he wants to say or do without thinking twice about it. Music is such a powerful thing and I believe in freedom of speech, so when 'Reflect' is on the mic, all hell brakes loose’.

‘My music represents the people that are not easily offended and have a sense of humour and do understand that I’m just trying to entertain people through my music by making light of all the dreadful things that we have to deal with in life. By actually, highlighting things that are bad in this world, maybe people would take notice and try and make a change. I'm not going to lie; I do say things for the shock value’.


‘My audience are the people who understand that I say things for a laugh. My music is comical and not to be taken too seriously, people should listen to me because I say so, if they don't, I will curl up into a little ball and cry myself to sleep every night until they do’.

‘I used to be a semi pro basketball player so I probably would of headed into that direction’ if he didn’t choose music as a career, he continues ’I love this sport and I am still a big fan of it. Come on Miami Heat!’


'The industry has changed in a big way'. He feels its all ‘internet, internet, internet. 'Many artists do everything for themselves nowadays, promoting, selling and networking all thanks to the internet. Record labels also search on the internet for the artists too. For an artist, it's so easy to promote online, sell music and build up their fan-base. A lot of record labels expect the artists to build up their own fan base, so unfortunately, many artists are too busy promoting themselves than actually concentrating on their music which means they don't take time on their lyrics as much as before.

When asked to describe his journey in one sentence he says ‘thank you so much aspirins, BURP!!!

He has just finished his debut album entitled Burp which is receiving amazing feedback which he is very grateful for. You can expect a lot more from him including live performances, videos and albums, he says ’I love to perform live, I get so amped’ he laughs ‘I’m looking to promote this album as much as I can, via the radio, magazines, blogs, etc and in the new year I’ll be finishing off my next album entitled 'Pardon Me!'. All the funds for that album will be going to MIND- Mental Health Charity’.


Stay tuned for more of Refelct, check out his Official Site, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and Youtube

0 comments:

Post a Comment