My Youtube Playlist

5 December 2010

The Champion - J Peace

J.Peace is a 21 year old musician from South London who has been working hard in the music industry and perfecting his craft for five years. During this time he has produced 4 CD's, over 200 songs both (released and unreleased) and several music videos. He has performed at various events such as youth conferences and churches and he has also been a head-liner for Europe's multi-cultural summer event The Notting Hill Carnival. Considering he has just released his new track 'Champion' I thought I'd catch up with him to find out his motives behind the making of the track as well as what the industry can expect from him in the future.


So J.P, when and how did your musical career start?

I was around 16 years old. In school a lot of people rapped, so I was influenced to start rapping as well. However my initial career began in Church when at a youth show. My mum forced me to participate, so i joined my brother, wrote some bars, that was the first time I rapped. I enjoyed it, and started to learn more about the craft of rapping. I then left church not long after I started rapping, and I decided to develop my own style. At the age of 19 I was writing continueously and doing anything I possibly could to develop my self as a rapper.

What do you focus on when making music?

Music is a very good way for me to express my self. I have been able to develop my self as an artist over the years, learning how to tailor my lyrics into songs, which are acceptable/enjoyable from different audiences. I write music every day, it usually just comes to me, and I will work on it, to turn it into a good song. However sometimes I will have a particular topic I have to focus on to write about, which I can also do. On top of this I also focus on the message that I am bringing out. Although I am absolutely free with my music, I refuse to negatively influence people, therefore I like to think my music brings about positive vibes.

Where is the best place you've performed and who would you like to perform with in the future?

Notting Hill Carnival, becuase of the size. However, I enjoy performing at clubs, as they bring the best vibes along. Youth Conferences are also enjoyable to perform at, because its a good opportunity to teach or leave behind a good word. I would love to perform with Alesha Dixon, or Kerri Hilson - because they are SEXY! I would enjoy working with Kings of Leon, Michael Bublay and any one that can bring a different vibe, and create somthing unique.



What would you say makes you different from other artists?

One thing I try my best to do is stand out from other artists. My album which I am releasing on the 27th December 2010, titled 'The Piece or Peace', has a lot of different vibes on it, from jazz fusions to rock fusions to club tracks, however keeping everything on the same wave lengh. I always look for new ways to inovate music. One of my goals as an artist is to bring rap music to a whole new level, where it can be appreciated more by an audience that does not yet appreciate it.

What influenced you to incorporate jazz to your music and how successful would you say this has been for you as an artist?

Music has a huge audience, however it is very categorised into different groups/genres. I enjoy playing around with different styles, and working with different musicians that bring a different vibe, and have a different ear for music.

What was the idea behind your latest track Champion?

Simply to create a different/unique vibe. Which I think worked. Yet, I realised it is a style that only a few people will respect and appreciate. For other people, it will literally fly over there head and not see the skill involved. I wanted to put in an uplifting message behind it, using my own past experiences. If you work hard, no matter how many times people put you down, you can show them your a champion.

What do you do in your spare time?

In the little time I get outside of making music, I enjoy watching films (not horror), eating lots of food, playing basketball, and going to talent shows.

How important is it for you to keep up with the current industry and who are your main competitors if any?

In music I have a lot of competitiors from all over the country and worldwide. Any one that does music is competition, but can also be an inspiration. My main competition comes from large record labels, as they are able to promote and market artists on a large scale with bigger budgets. As an independent artist it is difficult to break through that barrier with a much lower budget and be able to compete on the same scale.


What is your favourite part of your job?

Although I like almost all aspects of the tasks I do in music, if I had to choose a favourite it would be shooting the videos. If I had to choose a least favourite it would be spending the money.

What have you got in store for the industry and where do you see yourself in two years time?

I want a MOBO award in 2011. I will definetaly keep doing music every day, no matter what ( I am officially addicted). But I also want my music to be appreciated and respected, plus bring about a good message. I also want to be able to change some of the stereotypical views about rap music, and prove to people that it is not all bad. In two years I want to be known as the best artist about ;)

For more of J.Peace log on to his Facebook and check out his new track via Youtube Champion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment