My Youtube Playlist

8 December 2010

Down With Esstar

Esstar is an up and coming musician from East London, who is signed to the record label PDB Productions & Entice Records. He has been pursuing a music career since the tender age of 16 performing and perfecting his craft as well as experimenting with a multiple genres such as Grime, Dub-Step and Hip Hop. Esstar has shared the stage with artists such as Cypriot Vibez and Static and Smooth and is continuing to push his music career towards success. I thought I'd catch up with him to find out how he got into music as well as his views on the current industry as it stands.


When did you realise you wanted to be a musician?

Well I started making music when I was 14, but I didn't take it seriously. It wasn't until I left school and had to decide what I really wanted to do. I realised music was what I was interested in, so it was probably at around the age of 16.

What is the best memory of yourself in music?

I have a few good memories, mostly from performances, coming off stage to meet people who enjoyed the performance. Also numerous studio sessions when I've finished the song and know it's a hit.

Who are you main influences and why?

My influences change all the time, I'll go a week listening to a certain artist, and the next it will be a completely different genre of music, so I can't really name a certain artist as a main influence, I like all music.


How important is radio play for underground talents such as yourself and what stations do you listen to if any?

I think the game has changed and the best way to get yourself out there is through social networking sites and Youtube, so radio is not as important as it once was. But when your putting a single out you do need it on radio, it's what gets people familiar with your lyrics, thats where the songs come from that everyone knows the lyrics without even knowing what the song is! If you have a lot of radio play on one song everyone ends up subconciously knowing your song!

Can you remember your first ever lyrics, what where they?

I can't remember to be honest, but a friend of mine dug out a song of mine from 2005 the other day but I refused to listen to it, I remember how bad it was back then LOL. I had a lot of lyrics about nonsence as you do when your young.

Which artists do you currently like and why?

I like Ghetts, because of his lyrical skill and energy. Theres a singer called Ed Sheeran who I've been listening to a bit lately I think he's good, and I listen to a lot of different dubstep producers aswell.


What advice would you give to someone entering the music industry?

Please don't get involved if your not 100% serious, if your not willing to put time, effort, and even your own money into your music, then you might aswell stop now and go job centre. But, if you ARE serious, don't try and run before you can walk, start off small, build up an awareness and following in your local area first, and when you feel you have done what you can to achieve that then move on to bigger things.

Who have you previously performed with and who would you like to perform with in the future?

I've performed with Cypriot Vibez thats a guy I work with, I done a show the other night on the same stage as an act called 'Static and Smooth', few other names. I'd like to perform with anyone who's got a genuine talent, or anyone who's out there at the moment.

For more on Esstar you can contact via his Facebook , Twitter , Myspace or Youtube.

0 comments:

Post a Comment