My Youtube Playlist

6 December 2010

Kudzai Dyirakumunda - Black Jack Apparel

Kudzai Dyirakumunda is not only a 20 year old Graphic Designer from East London, but the mastermind behind the clothing label Black Jack Apparel. Since studying at the Arts University College in Bournemouth, he has freelanced with a variety of companies including Universal Republic who have major artists such as Lil John, Enrique Iglesias and Jay Sean signed their label. I thought I'd catch up with Kudzai himself to find out where it all started.


So, When did Black Jack Apparel start and why?

My interest in Graphic Design started when I was in my secondary school, I liked the fact that I could communicate with someone in a visual manner, not just verbally through my designs. It was before the start of my 2nd year at University and I wanted to draw something that I hadn't seen before so I decided to draw a skull wearing a top hat. I got the idea of adding the playing card theme after i played the game " Black Jack" the none gambling version with some friends. Initially the design was not intended for clothing and apparel it was just for my portfolio ,to show my drawing skills but it manifested to be a a t-shirt design.

What did you learn whilst working with Universal Republic?

It has taught me to be organised and that you necessarily don't have to be well connected to make it as long as your determined to do what you want you will achieve it.


What competition do you face from similar labels an how have to tried to combat this?

It is hard for me to say who my competitors are because this is the first time venturing into something that is outside 'Graphic Design' and I don't know where it will take me but i am aware there is alot of brands out there so I would have to design artwork that is different to others rather than try and compete with them.

What mediums do you use to promote your brand and who would be the ideal model for the label?

At the moment facebook is my main way of promoting my label as most people are using it. My University its not that big and everyone pretty much knows each other so word of mouth is a good way to spread the word.


What problems have you faced with your brand and how have you overcome this?

So far Im happy to say say I haven't had any major problems. I've only just started 'Black Jack Apparel' is not just a get money quick scheme its a way for me to expose myself as a Graphic Designer because at the end of my degree I want to open my own Graphic Design studio in a highly competitive career path you have to make the most of every opportunity.

What three pieces of advice would you give to someone about to start a label?

1. Do what you think is right even though people might not think it is.
2. Don't be afraid to step out of your boundaries or comfort zones
3. Be 100% behind your idea or vision.


Where do you see the label in 2011?

Hopefully for it to be recognised as a up and coming label that offers unique artwork for everyone.

To get in touch with Kudzai and get more from Black Jack Apparel you can contact him via Facebook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment