My Youtube Playlist

13 January 2011

What Do You Know About Nayta?

Although he was laughed at by his brother's friends when he spat his first '11bar' at the age of 10, he didn't let that stop him. Since then he has worked well known industry professionals, featured on Tim Westwood's Radio 1Xtra Show and now has his own music video Friday on Channel AKA. Nayta is a recording artists from East London, who is determined to 'open up' the UK music scene. For Nayta, music is his 'diary, lover, friend, brother, sister and his everything'. I thought I'd catch up with Nayta to see where his career started, as well as what his forthcoming plans for 2011 are.


Where did your music career all start?

When I was 10 years old I used to watch the midnight sets my brother held on a saturday evening with his crew Kaotic Trench. I continued to watch them until someone bought me Dizzee Rascal first album "Boy In Da Corner" for my 11th birthday. From then on I started listening to Rolldeep & Nasty on De Ja Vu. I vividly remember writing my first lyrics after hearing Dizzee on radio getting crazy reloads and hearing the amount of hype in the background. I just wanted to be someone that everybody listened to aswell. I wrote my lyrics, but kept it to myself until that saturday evening came. I spat my first verse and got laughed at by all of my brothers mates for spitting an '11 bar', but I continued writing and kept improving. By the age of 13 I was known by many of my peers in every school in Newham. I started getting involved in MC clashes against the year 11 in the school playground, every time there was a huge audience. At 14 I was taken to a youth club called YAP where I went every friday and was introduced to Brutal, Griminal, and some other young Grime MC's at the time. By 17 I was on the Tim Westwood show.

What sacrifices have you made in your career?

As a student I was always sacrificing school time for music time. I'd be writing lyrics in Maths and Science, when I was meant to be doing Mock Exams. However I did leave school with A*'s, A's, & B's. My mum wanted me to go College and study Law, English Language, & History. I knew such intensive learning would distract me from my music, even though I left with the grades I did I still only just made it through school. Being an Actor aswell, I decided to study Acting at the Broadway Theatre instead. Since leaving the Broadway I've been in the studio nearly everyday since February 2010, no exaggeration, ask anybody who knows me. (PS: I do not encourage kids to skip school for studio at all, get those grades in!)


Describe your style in one sentence?

Music with rapport.

Name 3 artist you aspire to be like and why?

I don't aspire to 'be like' anybody as such. However 3 artists I am influenced by in terms of their achievements and/or music/lyrics would be Jay-Z & 50 Cent for their songs, lyrics and outstanding business minds, & Drake simply because of the way I always relate to the things he has to say, not to mention his natural talent.

What are your views on the current UK industry and what do you feel you can bring to the scene?

Well, the scene is what it is. I don't want to individually name artists I do or don't rate but some spots are well deserved, some spots are being filled by people who aint really got much to say in terms of substance. Only I can understand this answer fully, but I'm looking to open up the scene in terms of intercrossing genre's from Grime to Pop to Rap to Jazz and etc.


How has your life experiences influenced you as an artists and who are your perspective audience?

There are way too many life experiences to mention. From working for charity to losing 6 of my friends, every little thing that's happens to me I put into my music one way or another. Music is my diary, my lover, my friend, my brother, my sister, my everything. I wish people could understand what I mean when I say I've got this fire in me. As for perspective audience, I'd say I want to reach everybody from the ages of birth to death.

Where is the best place music has taken you to?

Mentally, the stars.

Physically, Factory East Music Group - that's my family, that's our base FEMG all day!


What have you got planned for 2011?

I don't want to blow my cover, but watch out for ALOT of videos from me this year, + shout out to all my Grime followers I will come back this year just bare with me please. Watch out for the 'Friday' video on Channel AKA with my boy/brother from another mother MiniSparks. FEMG all day you know what it is.

For more of Nayta, you can contact him via his Facebook, or you can watch his latest video Friday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment