My Youtube Playlist

10 January 2011

Terra Artist

From youth clubs and pirate radio stations, to becoming the talk of the town in 2007 Terra Artist began to situate his place in the music industry with the release of 'Junior Spesh' - which featured additional members of Red Hot Entertainment. The song received huge airplay via Radio 1Xtra as well as Choice FM and has enabled 21 year old Terra to develop his solo career. Although he has been writing since 2003 and released his début vocal 'Who Is It' in 2005, Terra Artist has faced a number hiccups, including promoters and DJ'S blocking him out of the scene. Over the past two years he has been working hard to build up his fan-base, as well as prepare his forthcoming releases, one of which includes 'Ying Yang' which is due out in May.

I thought I'd catch with Terra himself to find out where it all started as well as how he managed to overcome the industries difficulties.


What is your profession and where did it start?

Im a recording artist in the UK, ive been writing and recording songs for about 3-4 years, but my passion for music begun when I was 15 years old.I started practising in my room, and following my older brother to radio sets which taught me how to mix and what's what.

What problems have you faced in the music industry and how have you managed to overcome them ?

Boy! Ive faced alot you know. It's like you take two steps forward and 1 step back so it's a struggle, but im down to fight for what I love doing. In this industry it's predominantly a 'dog eat dog world' alot of other artists, be it singers / producers / dj's etc are all fighting to get to the top and sometimes you have to just think about yourself in order to get there. I've had DJ's and promoters blocking me, not playing my music for reasons unknown to me, interferring with bookings or shows that I'm supposed to perform at, as well as beats being given to other artists and a bag of things. You just gotta keep your head up and maintain ambition.


Which artists do you aspire to and why?

Michael Jackson, legend! Despite all the slander and torture he received from the media he just kept level headed. I'n not saying im like him, but his quality of humbleness show through my music.

How are you different from other artists?

I think there's alot of different and unique artists out here, but it's the minority. A lot of artists just chase the women, cars and jewellery and rap about things with no substance. What I think makes me different is that I couldn't care less for what people think about ME, as a person. My music speaks volumes, I write about what I've been through, what I've experienced and what I wish for. A child of 10 years old can relate to some tracks, then you get an old lady who can also relate to my music. LOL, so its mad like that.

What was the last album your purchased and how important is it to you to do so as an artist?

Ermmm...i hardly buy albums which is bad. I normally buy singles, or download which is probably even worse in terms of supporting the scene LOL. But the last album I bought was Dizzee Rascal's first album "Boy In Da Corner". I felt him, I liked his flow, his song subjects, his approach to music was wreckless he didn't care. I just knew he was gonna blow up. Plus being from East London - Bow - i was around him as a youngster with my older brother, back in the day he really represented UK / London grime!


Who are your perspective audience and how do you appeal to them?

A lot of people tell me that my music appeal to people aged 16 to 19 year or mainly females. I think it's because most of my songs are love related, not all happy stories, some are sad. I've even made a couple get back together from a song of mine called "Angel's Message" which can be found on youtube. I took that as a compliment, ive been hurt before in the past and love does mess you up so i put all my thoughts and feelings on paper with that song.

Where is the best place music has taken you ?

A song i was featured in called Junior Spesh definitely opened doors for me, Being played day in day out on big stations like 1xtra and Choice Fm was a shock. Also being invited for a Channel 4 interview and a couple shows and tour dates. It made me think on a whole new level.


What advice would you give to someone entering the music industry?

I know people hear this all the time, but its probably the best peice of advice if you want to chase a dream, not just music but anything. Be yourself...don't let anyone tell you otherwise, dont try to fit into any sort of crowd because then you'll just blend in and be the same. Especially in the music industry, labels want a fresh beginning because soon, the cars, money, diamonds and sexy women will die out.
Just be you!

What can we expect from you in 2011?

Videos,videos,videos, albums! I'll be doing my own songs and projects with some good features so stay tuned. I done alot of ground work in 2009 and 2010 so now im ready to launch properly. Make sure you buy my single "Ying Yang" on iTunes its out in May!

For more of Terra Artist you can contact him via his Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment