My Youtube Playlist

27 May 2011

Chey'Elleise - The Neo-Soul Singer Songwriter

Chey'Elleise is a Neo-Soul singer and songwriter from North London who has been experimenting and expanding her craft since she was a child. Currently she is studying a Level 3 Diploma in Music at college, which she hopes will enable her to forward her career and bring something new to the current music scene. 'As Neo-Soul doesn’t sell as much as it used to, I’m going to be singing on more commercial instrumentals' whilst 'keeping Neo Soul vocals’ she said when asked why people should listen to her.

I thought i'd catch up with Chey'Elleise to find out where her career started as well as what she has in the pipeline for 2011 


‘When I was younger I went ‘Susie Earnshaw’s Theater School every Saturday,’ which was initially the beginning of her career. This is were where she learnt ’poetry, street dance, drama, improvisation and performances skills’.

Unlike most teenagers who were interested in going to the local park to play with friend at the time, she took it upon herself to start, or should I say forward her career, she explained, ’ I looked through the yellow pages whilst my mum was out and to find a vocal coach near by. As soon as my mum came home I told her that we had a meeting so we gotta go now! We went along to Michael’s studio - the vocal coach - and I sang ‘Hey big spender’ by Shirley Bassey.


‘He told me he didn’t really coach young kids because they usually are times wasters, but he said he saw potential in me and offered to coach me. I went to his studio every Thursday after school for lessons for two years. Once I’d finished my GCSE’s I started a  Level 3 Diploma in Music at college and have taken of from there’

Like most in any industry she has faced difficulties along the way, but she has managed to learn from them in order to make her a better muscian.’ I always thought I couldn’t sing, so it made me really shy. I wouldn’t sing for anyone, even my own family had to wear eye masks when I sung in the same room as them. But college made me realized I had to be confident in front of an audience. So I started to open up and sing more freely.’


Although, she is a fan of Chase & Status, Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifa and Kid Cudi her idol is Erykah Badu because of the 'depth in her lyrics‘ and the 'way she writes her songs'. She is also 'really into my hip hop'. and she 'loves tracks she 'can just sit and vibe to'.
When asked what we can expect from her in 2011, she says 'it should be a very exciting year for me, I can’t say much at this moment, but big things are going to be happening' 

Keep your eyes and ears peeled for more of Chey'Elleise, you can also contact her via Facebook . 

0 comments:

Post a Comment