My Youtube Playlist

18 May 2011

Wonkap - The Belgium Dubstep Producer

'I lost my heart to Dubstep' he replied when I asked him how he initially started making music. He's been producing for just over 9 months and loves to create, fresh, dirty and mind-blowing bass-lines when he's not eating French fries and sipping on a can of Stella Artois. He's had the pleasure of performing alongside artists such as Datsik, Chrispy and Bare Noize and plans to take his music around the globe. Wonkap formally known as Diëgo Goossens is Dub-step Producer and DJ from Belgium. I though 'd catch up with him to find out how his carreer started as well as what he has planned for 2011.


Why did you get into music and where did it all start?

It started when I was 3 years old, lol - I've actually got a video of me rocking out on house music at that age, kinda funny though. When I was around 12 I started listening to pop punk & metal. But around 2 years ago, I went to a Dubstep rave where Funtcase, Borgore & Flux Pavilion were playing. That night I lost my heart to Dubstep.

What does your name mean and where did it come from?

It actually doesn't have a meaning at all, I was just smashing on the keyboard typing random stuff and suddenly there was 'Wonkap'.

What makes you different from other artists?

I try not to copy any other sounds in the scene. Trying to develop your own sound is difficult, but that's what I've been trying to do. Creating dirty, fresh & mind blowing bass-lines is what I do.


Where have you performed and where would you like to perform?

I've only played gigs in my own country, next to artists like: Datsik, Chrispy, Bare Noize, Triage, Ajapai, Chasing Shadows, 16 bit and so on. My dream would be to travel around the globe playing out my music.

Why should people listen to you ?

People who like deep, hard, heavy, futuristic bass-lines would definitely enjoy
my music, I hope.

Who would you ideally like to collaborate with and why?

Ohhh, that's an easy question! Justin Bieber... DUH !

Lol Seriously, definitely, Ajapai or Liquid Stranger. Ajapai because I just love his bass-lines and his structure in tunes and Liquid Stranger because I love his futuristic sound.

What are your likes and dislikes about the current music industry?

Dislike, probably the leaking. Not too many people buy tunes legally any more.

But, I like the fact of getting involved in this industry and releasing on different labels. My biggest dream is to get on 'Rottun Recordings', of course that's my favorite label!


Where do your other talents lie aside from music?

I used to skateboard, I still do but not as intense. I also worked on a MMORPG, which is a massive multi-player on-line role playing game, were I worked as as a 3D Modeler which is basically a Game Designer.

What are you currently working on?

Creating & editing new sounds, and on a fresh EP!

Oh, and I'd like to shout-out to, Nerva, Torrid, Davr, Skumstep, Djahsta, Darkstep Warrior, Chrispy, James (from 2mbr), Cyberoptix, Tek9, Kaza, my MUM and ofcourse all the other artists that I love & forgot!

For more of Wonkap, you can listen to some of his latest tunes via Soundcloud or you contact him personally via Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment