My Youtube Playlist

23 June 2011

Big Cakes - Blue Cheese

'I've always loved music and always wrote lyrics, so taking it on a professional level was the only thing that made sense', say Big Cakes who is a hip hop musician from East London. Earlier this year he released his mixtape 'Preheat' which featured artists such as Raggo Zulu Rebel, Flow Dan, Sherry Davis and Morfius. Since then he has released his debut album 'Blue Cheese'.  I thought I'd catch up with him to find our more.


'He or she who has ears should hear me. Every hip hop listener should hear my music because the essence of true hip hop is preserved in it', says Big Cakes when asked who is his audience. 'I'm quite skinny, most people expect me to be a big out of breath character that eats cake all day, but Big Cakes is a next kind of cake. After all what's a party if u ainte got CAKE? I've always loved music and always wrote lyrics, so taking it on a professional level was the only thing that made sense'

'Preheat was mixtape just to warm things up while I cooked up and served up my next meal' in this case he means his debut album Blue Cheese' which now available via iTunes. He says 'Before you cook something in an oven you preheat it, to get it ready at the right temperature to start cooking’ which was the idea behind Preheat.’


Cakes has had the pleasure of working with a variety of musicians including Raggo Zulu Rebel, English Frank, Mike GLC, Flow Dan, Frizzle, Logic, Lowkey, Mic
Righteous, Sherry Davis, Nadine Walker just to name a few. In the future he would like to work with Nas, Ghostface Killah, Beyonce, Jehst, Chris Brown and Rhianna. He says 'I think the collaboration of such diverse angles and views will be a beautiful thing'

The music industry has changed in the sense that 'Over here, I would say the market is getting bigger but ideas and originality is dwindling.' I love music and so supporting it is a standard operating procedure. I buy music all the time, from people selling CDs after shows or downloading from the internet. I haven't actually bought a CD from a shop in a little while but that's because I haven't been to a music shop in ages'


In the future Big Cakes hopes 'to keep setting goals and achieving them. You can now BUY his new album Blue Cheese from iTunes or Bandcamp, add him on Facebook and follow him via Twitter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment