My Youtube Playlist

12 June 2011

MyM - Hold Me Down

Hold Me Down’ is the debut single from Maryam Shofowora formally known as MyM.  She is a 23 year old musician from South London who has often been compared to the likes of Shingai from the The Noisettes and Adele due to her unique eltro-indie-pop music style. Similar to a majority of musicians MyM's career started at a young age, in her case 7 years old which is where she began imitating the pop starts of her generation whilst watching 'Top of the Pops'. Since then she has gone from strength to strength taking up a career in music as well as acting and comedy. I thought I'd catch up with her to find out more.


'Don't let 'them' or 'situations' hold you down from what you believe you’re meant to do in life, don't let people's pessimistic reality dampen your dreams'. Says MyM, when asked what she is trying to communicate through her new single 'Hold Me Down'.

Like many she has face a variety of hardships, but due to her persistence to make something of herself she persevered in order to make a career out of music. She explains 'Most recently with my singing, I used to do backing vocals for a lot of artist, which I enjoyed. I loved it, but deep down inside I wanted to create my own, but I listened to the doubting voice and held myself back from expressing my full potential but when I realised  what was dwelling inside me I couldn't contain it, it was written all over me. By believing I am born to do what I do, I overcame it'

'It all started at the age of 7 my first love was singing. I sat in front of the TV imitating artist on Top of the pops, which then it grew into acting when I was around 14 and I only got into comedy about 2 years ago by accident, some one said 'your really funny do u wanna host my event' and here we are! My audience are who ever I touch or relate to through my music whether it’s an insecure teen, a single parent father or a 25 year old graduate.'


Her inspirations include 'Beyonce' for her 'crazy work ethic' she says 'her gift is phenomenal, I might not agree with her sexy image but I admire her song writing, vocal ability and performance. She also like 'Little dragon' because she feels they are 'a quirky group'. She says 'their music has no genre and the lead singers vocals are hauntingly beautiful they just experiment and it works giving us classic's like 'Twice''

Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and live Gigs are a few of the ways she promotes herself as an artist. She explains 'These all are great ways of getting my music out there, I prefer gig's because its more intimate and I can talk to people in person. She would say the most successful medium has been 'gig's' because 'once you captivate someone through your 'live' performance they'll now find you on Youtube, follow you on Twitter and befriend you on Facebook its brilliant'

In the future you can expect Mym to be doing a lot more Gigs and hopefully an album towards the end of the year. She has also featured on label mate Commission's new hit single 'Gold Rush' which created a storm on Dave P show on Choice FM. She describes her style as a mixture of genre fusing different styles together, I’ll be dropping another single so if you like 'Hold Me Down' then brace yourself for fire!' Her album 'Changing Rooms' is well also début later this year. 


You can now add her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter and check out her latest music via Youtube. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment