My Youtube Playlist

6 June 2011

Tribal Man Magz - 21 Dares

We keep it global not local’ says Kofi formally known as Tribal Man Mags who brought us the infectious funky house anthem ‘Tribal Man Skank’ back in 2009. Tribal Man is a musician from East London who originally started out his career at pirate radio stations such as Axe FM and Flava FM but immediately accumulated a huge following propelling him into the limelight via BBC 1xtra, Choice FM and Kiss FM. He is currently in the process of completing his long awaited album ‘21 Dares’ which débuts later this year.

I thought I’d catch up with him to find out more.


Alike many artists Tribal Man Mags started his music career from a young age.  In his case, his secondary school playground, where he battled against his peers in year 8 and 9, but he eventually decided to make the transition between hobby and profession when he entered into sixth form. He was then known as 'Magma Man’ and established his own music label ‘Down & Dirty’. He went on to release a single with his collective entitled ‘Prepare to Rewind’, earning ‘Down & Dirty’ the titles of ‘Best Up & Coming’ for the Urban Fusion Awards and ‘Best Newcomer’ for the British African Music Awards in 2008. 


Due his persistence and commitment as an artist he then got the chance to take his music overseas to Ghana, his home land. He explains ‘it was kind of weird because it was a whole different environment, but at the same time they appreciated the music more. I love my country so you could call it a perfect marriage’. When asked how he differs from his alias he says ‘Tribal is more confident, he’s a real bossy guy and likes everything his way’, he says. But Kofi ‘is more reserved and just loves to chill and watch movies all day and laze around.’

His motivation for music comes solely from his emotions, he explains ‘everyone calls me a skitzo, I have different emotions everyday, but I’m just blessed with a gift. I am very versatile so I adapt to any genre my audience likes. My audience ranges from primary school children to Grandparents my sound is universal really’. In his view ‘the funky scene has turned in to a phase instead of a genre and I think we all need to work together to get it banging again.’ 


In the past he has had the pleasure of working with artists such as Ruff and Smooth, Sway, The Saturdays, Gracious K, Flirta D, Funky Dee, K.I.G, Dotstar and Ramzee. He would initially like to work alongside Rick Ross and Pharrell Williams in the future. His inspiration are Jay Z and Rick Ross as he can relate to them as they run their own businesses just like hum and he feels ‘they are great business men. My journey has been a long and exciting one, but I’ m ready to continue on the road to success. In the future you can expect to hear and see ‘a lot of different kind of music. We keep it global never local!

You can now contact Tribal Man Magz via Facebook and Twitter 

0 comments:

Post a Comment