My Youtube Playlist

16 May 2012

Ayo - Boom Ayo

Ayo is a musician from East London who started his music career at the tender age of 12. After experimenting with music with a childhood friend they then formed a duo ‘Illstarz’ in which Ayo became the lyricist and his friend made the beats.

Ironically Illstarz, is now the title of the label he co-owns. He then spent some time in the US during his teens where became heavily influenced by the Hip Hop Culture that gave rise to artist such as Jay Z, Nas, LL Cool J and Mobb Deep.


Ayo has recently release his latest single ‘Boom AYO’ featuring the likes of Princess Nyah, J2K and Frisco. I caught up with him to find out his sacrifices, future collaborations and his views on the current music industry.

I was influenced a lot by Hip Hop and staying with my cousin at the time it encouraged us to form a rap group, we recorded a few demos over known instrumentals, but were lacking original material.

So using tips and tricks learned from an old friend who used to make beats with, I began the production side of my career. Now years down the line I’ve managed to marry the two skills, rapping and producing, and add a little singing. Now my mission is to share it with the world.

I decided to turn my hobby into a career ‘when I was around 19, when I finished college and began working at a bar.

I was still doing music although it wasn’t something I did to support myself financially, but it would find a way of taking up all my time because I was so passionate about it.

Eventually, it started effecting my job at the bar in a bad way and i was called into my manager’s office. She sat me down and said "i can see you are not putting 100 percent into this job" I agreed and then explained to her why, she then said "either you put full focus on this job or you might as well resign because you will end up getting the sack" and that was my last day at the bar.

Two weeks later I sold my first production, a track called 'Married' which I did for 'Dj Ironik' 'warner music' - his record label at the time - paid me £2000 for it. From that point on I knew this was my new career and I never looked back.

I think my audience spans from the inner city to suburban youths and from the young to mature. I don't try to appeal to anyone I just do music I like but because my taste varies, I think it’s easy for someone to find at least one song of mine they like.

I don’t have any regrets, I think with anything I do, I go into it knowing there is no choice but to make it work.

Even if it’s harder than not doing it in the first place, so I never wish that didn't do things.

I love the music scene right now; I think the hunger that was prevalent in the 90's by artists is coming back! People are trying different things and working hard which inspires good music. My message is don't feel like you have to put yourself in a box to be cool, you can be respected for doing what you want to do.

Social networking really helps because you can reach people and know that your reaching them, whereas back in the day you wouldn't be able to see who your fans were or how many fans you actually have. Now you can communicate with them, you can also show them new music without having to do the full on promote via TV, radio concerts.

I’ve worked with quite a lot of artists, just to name a few, Labrinth, Dionne Broomfield, Jason Derulo, Rebecca Furguson, Roll Deep, Wretch32, Jessica Lowndes from 90210, Natt Weller, Paul Weller's son, the list goes on.

I really want to work with some more afro beat artists and maybe some rappers from the states such as Jay Z

Check out my new single 'Boom Ayo' it’s got a heavy urban remix ft J2K from Roll Deep, Princess Nyah & Frisco from Boy Better Know.

For more of Ayo, you can follow him via his Official SiteFacebook, and Twitter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment