My Youtube Playlist

22 May 2012

Mercston - Tsunami & E Class

He’s featured on national radio stations such as Kiss FM, Choice FM and BBC 1xtra, collaborated with some of the hottest names in the industry including Ghetts, Chipmunk, Bashy and Wiley, released a highly anticipated 11 track mixtape entitled ‘Ventilation’ and is well known for tunes such as Summertime and Good Old Days.

Mercston is a musician from East London, who like many artists, has been pursuing a career in music since his teens. I caught up with him to find out about his latest release his Tsunami, taken from his fourth-coming mixtape E Class, his influences, as well as how and why he decided to return to the music industry after incarceration.


I’ve been heavily involved with music since I was 18. I started out listening to the Pay As You Go's, the Rolldeep’s the Nasty Crews, and Ruff Squads. Then I decided…Hold up, I can do this too, and I started to make music in 2005.

I've grown up listening to music my whole life. My dad’s a DJ so at home there was always a lot of rare grooves, funk, soul, reggae RnB and hip hop playing on the Technic decks. All of these genres play a part in the music I record today - I have an old soul, lol.

I'm a quarter of The Movement" so I've worked with Ghetts, Scorcher and Wretch 32, that's family right there! Ruff Squad, Wiley, Bigz, Donaeo, J2k and many many more musicians. To be honest, I usually keep it in house, but I've worked with some amazing singers.

My time away held me back from releasing music, I even stopped writing for a year.

Then a good friend of mine, that i met, named Ray, reminded me of the gift I've been given – It’s not a talent, this is a gift - so I have to utilise it.

I started listening to music again and began writing to the best of my ability which helped me along my journey.

I believe labels know what I'm capable of but are scared of taking the risk, but it's all down to timing. So when the time’s right, it's right. I’ll just keep recording and making great music.

Jay Z has been a big influence, he's still the best in my eyes up untill now. Mase was a big influence; I use to think I was that brudder there, lol.

In the UK, Wiley was a big influence. He helped me to believe in myself and told me if I press on people will have to take me in, a similar thing was said by Chunky B, a good friend and the first producer I ever worked with, I appreciate them both.

The whole Movement team have been there too, they’re all great artists and being around them gave me no choice but to up my levels and be the best I can be.

At the moment, music hasn’t taken me anywhere great, but I foresee the future, so in the next interview I’ll let you know, lol.

My alias is just a spin off from my surname "Marston" I generally beat up the riddim put before me so I was given the name Mercs and kept the "ton".

Sacrifices, I suppose going to university. I know my family would have loved me to go because music has its ups and downs, but they wish me the best in whatever I do.

Me going to uni would have led to a concrete career. No regrets, just lessons learnt, without them I wouldn't be me today.

The music industry seems to be getting a little more accepting in regards to the music and artists being let through to showcase their sounds of music on a bigger scale.

I still feel not enough risks are taken and that this country needs to let go of this "one at a time" attitude, other that that, it's progressing.

There are so many artist out there right now I couldn't tell you who's next to blow.

I've seen so many people have a good buzz and been sure they’re about to blow then for "one at a time reason" nothing comes of it.

What’ next? I’ve just dropped my new video on the May 21st entitled Tsunami ft Siah Spiderman and Jaze Aliga which is taken from my forthcoming mixtape E- Class, which is dropping very soon.

The tape consists of different genres of classy music. It's named E class because a lot of people refer to my music as a touch of class another words "he class" hence the E class like Merc E class "ya get me" lol - if your one of those I appreciate that.

With this tape, I think I"ll take my fans back to my first mixtape "The End of the Beginning" you’ll find some smooth tracks on there for the ladies Apart from that I'd like to end this interview by saying expect the unexpected!

Peace and love Mercs !

For more of Mercston, you can now log on to his Official Website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment