My Youtube Playlist

2 May 2012

Jazzmine - North London's Rising Star

Like many musicians, 17 year old Jazzmine, grew up listening to the likes of Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Coldplay, but after watching Leona Lewis win the X Factor in 2006, the North London songstress decided to turn her hobby in a profession and hopefully make her dreams a reality.


I caught up with Jazzmine to find out what she focuses on when making music, any sacrifices her plans for the future.

My mum always told me, you’ve gotta be happy in your job, so I thought if music was my career, nothing would make me happier. God gives people talent for a reason and if you love something you should pursue it, so I decided to take the first steps.

At college people were studying for careers they love and could get a job in. But, studying music and getting a job in the industry, seemed so far away, so I studied hairdressing and worked part time as a hair stylist.

Where it started…

But after being made redundant, I thought it was a now or never so I began to take my singing more seriously. In late 2011 my best friend suggested I start doing covers on Youtube just to get my voice heard, it was always was something I’d considered but didn't know how to go about it - I didn't even have an account.

I had to start somewhere, so I jumped straight in, made a quick video and shared it online and as a result I got a lot of positive support and good feedback.

I remember watching Leona Lewis on X factor back in 2006 and when she won I realised that dreams really can come true. Singing always helped me concentrate I used to hum a tune to myself and then words from whatever I was thinking about just followed, so I started to write them down.

They started out on paper as notes which turned to poetry and then eventually song lyrics. I've always sung around the house, school, on the bus whenever I had a song in my head I would have to sing it out loud.

Her musical message…

Music has to mean something so it connects with listeners. I tend to focus on whatever's in my head and then let it flow, everything has a deeper meaning.
I focus on breaking the mould and making a better life for myself and my family. I don't want to just wake up to fortune I want to make it through something and that is music.

She recalls ‘one day I was looking out my window, thinking there's so much outside, so much more than what I had inside, it wasn't fulfilling.

Sacrifices…

Time is my only sacrifice, I have put a lot into my music which could have gone towards college work, but the way I see it is there's got to be sacrifices if you really want something and I anticipate a lot more in future. No pain no gain!

Hobbies…

Irish dancing, it’s a a great way of keeping in shape. I competed professionally when I was 7 and travelled a lot to different countries through such as Spain, New York and Ireland of course!

Her audience…

I'd like to think my voice appeals to a wide audience and I have a range of listeners. I think my audience will develop more over time.

A variety of ages can identify with me musically because as I interact a lot with different genres and styles which have a lot of similarities and musical interests.

The music industry…

Being a new artist in the UK when there's so much talent out there I'm bound to face comparisons. It’s hard to come out as something no one's seen and will accept. Even if you’re genuinely just being yourself people might say you're trying to be like so and so or you're similar to this person.

I think every artist should be known in their own right instead of being ranked against everyone else out there. There’re a lot of female artists doing big things at the moment and they’re all individual and bring something different to the industry, especially with a lot of British ladies coming through so quickly.

She adds ‘in a male dominated industry people think girls should be a certain way. The raunchy thing is in right now, so there's pressure on females to be sexualised and as a young female artist there's pressure to be a certain way, but I don’t have Nicki Minaj's body or Rihanna's raunchiness.

I'm just Jazzmine, so all I can hope is that people are able to appreciate that.

Her inspirations…

‘Whitney Houston, Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Rihanna, Adele, Jesse J and Leona Lewis’ – she explains ‘they had a dream from a young age and not only made it a reality but pursued it relentlessly.

Alicia Keys, I've loved her ever since I heard Fallin. Rihanna, she made it big in such a short time and wasn't afraid to reinvent herself, Adele her voice and her level of achievement is inspiring. Jessie J, her song writing ability is amazing and she writes in a way that a lot of young people relate to. Leona Lewis, she's so humble, I don't think she knows how great she is!

I'm generally a fan of strong female vocalists but I also love Snow Patrol, Coldplay, The Script and growing up I was a big fan of Avril Lavigne!

Future plans…

I don’t just want to be a Youtube cover girl; I'm working on my original material. My 1st track should be out this year and I am also working on a demo/EP.

I'm really working hard so you can expect a lot from me. I don't wanna say too much, everything is a working progress so catch up with me in the near future to see where I'm at

You can now catch follow Jazzmine via Twitter and Youtube. :)

2 comments:

Yayy!! Great article! You go jazz! xxx

rosee verry impressed well done beautiful :D!!! im sure you kno who it is from me calling you rose ;)

Post a Comment