My Youtube Playlist

20 September 2011

Castro - Broken Promises

Like many artists, his career started as a hobby where he had lyric battles amongst his peers in the school playgrounds. But, after seeing his brother climb to success as a member of the infamous So Solid Crew, he began to pursue his music career more professionally. Castro is a musician from London who is due to release his EP Broken Promises in October. He also plans to release a snap back clothing line in the same month along with a follow up album in the New Year.

I thought I’d catch up with Castro to find out his sacrifices, what his music represents as well as what he’s learnt about the industry so far.


I'm a musician, I rap, sing and I also song-write for a lot of artists. My passion started when in school, when I was 14, I would rap battle in the playground with other kids in my school and from me seeing the success of my older brother Kaish's - a member of the urban collective So Solid Crew - ‘I knew that music was what I wanted to do’.


As a solo artist my music represents me as a person. I’m hold back anything; I talk about what is relevant in my life at that moment in time. I've sacrifices such as time, money and my social life for my music in order for it to flourish in the way that I want it to. Fortunately, my close friends are also involved with my music so I haven't lost any close friendships, but relationships are hard, because obviously sometimes you loose out on spending time with a partner, so that's definitely a complicated area.

I have no regrets on anything I've done during my life, even if situations are real bad, they have groomed me into the man I am now so I can't really complain. Life is a school and everyday is a new lesson. I’ve worked with a lot of people in the UK industry such as Double S, So Solid Crew, Mutya Buena, Fundemental, Swiss, Frixtion, Fumin, Stylah, Junior Brat, JD aka Dready and K Koke, but there’re a lot more in the pipeline.


I’ve learnt to keep your circle very close but to still have an open mind to mingle and network with everybody you can. There’re a lot of shady and snakey people in this industry that haven't got you're best intentions at heart so I've learnt how to work with them but distance myself enough not to be effected in a bad way. It has also taught me to be a great business man and to make good decisions.
He feels a good artist should be consistent in terms of material and output. Have passion for what they create, be creativity with ideas and structures which will allow you to appeal to a wider audience as well as maintain persistence despite the setback you may face in the industry or any industry in general. 

Castro is currently working on his second EP, which should be out in October entitled Broken Promises, which he says is some of the most real and heartfelt music he’s ever done. He’ll also be releasing a snap back line in October with a lot more designs and garments yet to come in the future. His album should also be out in January.


Until then you can continue to follow him via his Official Website, Facebook and Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment