My Youtube Playlist

16 September 2011

Zuby - Commercial Underground 2

When many of his peers were applying for investment banking internships, he spent his summer promoting and selling his first album 'Commercial Underground' which sold over 3000 copies. In 2010 he performed at the Hip Hop Lives tour alongside artist such as DJ Semo, Mr ShaoDow and Scarz and also became the only solo rap artist to reach the final 20 of the Surface Festival. Zuby is a self taught musician from London who is in process of releasing his follow up album ‘Commercial Underground 2’ which is scheduled to début later this year.

I thought I’d catch up with him to find out more.  


‘Zuby is Zuby’, he replies when asked how he differs from his alias. He continues ‘my artist persona is the same as my real one, maybe a bit more extroverted - sometimes deep, sometimes humorous, but always honest. That’s why I never tried to brand myself as a ‘conscious’ rapper because I’m not one-dimensional. There’s a time to be serious and a time to have fun'.

‘I was 19, in my 2nd year at uni when I released my first album ‘Commercial Underground’. All of my friends were applying for investment banking internships and never being one to follow the flock, I actually spent that whole summer on the street, selling my CDs in central London. It was a truly eye opening experience and I think after selling my 1000th copy I was like, you know what? I can do this’. He explains, when I asked how he made the transition from music being a hobby into a career now into a career.

‘I don’t regret anything. I wish I knew as much at the start as I do now but that’s not how life works! I definitely had to make sacrifices and still do. Sleep has become less frequent’, he laughs.  With my background and education, many don't understand why I’m trying to find success in music but that's not how I think. You only live once so you have to fully explore your passions. God gave me this talent for a reason right?


‘My audience is actually quite broad. This is another important thing I learned from my street selling because you’re out there seeing how people respond to you and your music. From overly excitable teenage girls to adults, who like substance in their music, my supporters come from all walks of life and I really like that’

‘Besides my albums and EP, I’ve performed live with a wide range of artists, within and outside of hip hop. Last year I did a 5 date tour called ‘Hip Hop Lives’ with DJ Semo, Mr ShaoDow and Scarz, which was a great experience. Shout out to all of them for that because we definitely proved it can be done independently. I also reached the London Final of the Surface Festival this year. I was the only rapper and only solo artist to reach the final 20 of an event that’s essentially catered to rock bands, so that must say something!’

‘The music business is an interesting place. No one really knows where it’s headed. I think the playing field will level out over time, opportunities are endless. Next to blow? I don’t know, there are hundreds of artists who have the talent to do that, we’ll have to see who works the hardest and grinds it out for long enough. Me? I’m not trying to ‘blow’ I’m trying to be successful'.


‘His inspirations include his parents and older siblings, he explains ‘they’ve have taught me more than they’ll ever know – amazing role models. I’m generally inspired by anyone who has achieved success in their chosen field. You can always learn more’.

In the future you can expect his music promo which he says ‘is going to kick into overdrive towards the end of 2011’ for his new album ‘Commercial Underground 2’. He hopes to become Local, regional, national, global, he says ‘That’s the plan, in that order. Stay tuned…'

For more of Zuby, you can now contact him via his Official SiteFacebook and Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment